Saturday, January 29, 2011

Agam



One of my first classes, Color Theory, taught me a lot about the creation of color and how it is used in art. I took it early on in the program, but one of the projects still remains with me. My instructor called it an Agam, which I assume is named after Yaacov Agam an Israeli Sculptor and experimental artist best known for his contributions to optical and kinetic art. The end result is created by slicing two of one's paintings in equal parts and joining them in an alternating pattern. It was definitely a practice in releasing attachment to my work and trusting the process. I was so nervous to cut up my paintings that I had painstakingly copied from Van Gogh. I realized that by letting go I was able to create something even more wonderful than the two separate parts.

No comments:

Post a Comment