Tuesday, March 29, 2011

A New Dog A New Life





 
Life has changed a lot for me recently with my boyfriend’s and my decision to adopt a 2 year old corgi sheltie mix. Remy (the name we landed on) was in a high kill shelter and came into our graces through a wonderful organization, Perfect Pet, who often saves dogs in such shelters. We had been looking for several weeks and couldn’t find the right match. The moment our eyes fell on Remy, we were in love. He was so sweet and loving and wanted kisses and attention. We were told we could walk him in the neighborhood, and with his cute little strut and his sweet demeanor, we knew he was the one. Of course he came home with kennel cough (needing medication) and a “cone of shame” because he had recently been neutered, so we hit the ground running making sure all of his needs were taken care of. The first day we had him it seemed like he peed one hundred times! The responsibility for taking care of another being was slowly hitting us.

In our early discussions about adopting a dog we discussed how we wanted to train him and feed him etc., many choices we disagreed on making it an annoying, yet educational process. I wanted to be a good dog mom, but I also wanted to respect my boyfriend’s opinions (he tends to be a bit more laid back), so we had to do a little give and take.

 














Remy is a real joy, although a handful. I was worried about how a rescue dog would connect with us, but with Remy we don’t have that issue. He will follow us everywhere, waiting outside the bathroom door when I shower and always at my feet when I walk around the apartment. He also loves to lie down in the funniest positions, often propped up, or with his head hanging down. It has been such a learning process for me and I definitely appreciate my parents a lot more after getting a small taste of what it is like to care fore something and love something so much. It makes me think of my sister who  is due in a week or two. I can’t wait to see her blossom into a wonderful mother.

















1 comment:

  1. I love it Hayl! I can't wait to meet Remy and Gracie too!

    ReplyDelete